Portsdown Transmitter User guide
The Portsdown transmitter has been designed to provide an easy way to “get on air” with Digital ATV at a relatively low cost covering all of the commonly used modes so enabling it to be used on ATV repeaters but also for RB-TV Dx working.
This user guide is in a number of sections which cover detailed descriptions for hardware and software, how to build and configure the system, some advanced features and an FAQ.
- Portsdown hardware Detailed description of the Portsdown hardware and a shopping list of what you need to buy and where to buy it.
- Portsdown software Detailed description of the Portsdown software and how to get a programmed SD card.
- Transmitter specifications Frequency range, MER and Output Levels to be expected on each band.
Building the system
- Assembling your Portsdown How to put all the hardware together - you need to read this!
- Filter modulator board Built boards be available from the BATC shop or if you want to build your own filter modulator board all the information is here.
- GPIO breakout board Full construction details for the BATC GPIO breakout board
- Local Oscillator Filter board Full construction details for the Local Oscillator filter board
- Four band decode board More detail on the Portsdown PTT and band switching capabilities plus Rx/Rx relay sequencing
- RF output switch Details on the RF output switch board
Configuring and controlling the system
- Initial setup You must follow these steps before using your Portsdown transmitter.
Once you have configured the system, you can control the Portsdown transmitter in one of 2 modes: through the console using a second computer or by the use of the Rpi touchscreen - you will set which mode you want to use during the initial setup.
- Touchscreen mode How to use your Portsdown transmitter using the Touchscreen LCD only
- Console mode How to control your Portsdown transmitter using an external PC in console mode
- Changing system setup How to change Portsdown transmitter settings when in Touchscreen mode
- QPSKRF or Ugly mode Notes on this special test mode and the limitations when using it
- Setting up the WiFi How to set up the WiFi on the RPi3 Portsdown Transmitter
Software capabilities and issues
- Software capabilities and issues An up to date list is available here
- Updating your Portsdown Software How to update your Portsdown software to the latest version, with suggestions for troubleshooting updates.
The Portsdown is not just a DATV transmitter but has several advanced features which are or may be available in the future:
- Lean DVB reciever How to use the integrated RTL SDR based monitoring receiver - this is NOT the Portsdown receiver
- Streaming to BATC.TV How to use your Portsdown transmitter as a standalone streamer
- Controlling a DATVExpress How to use your Portsdown transmitter as a user interface for DATV Express
- Feeding Video to Portsdown from vMix How to use vMix with your Portsdown transmitter
Filters and driver amplifiers are not part of the Portsdown project but VERY important
The Portsdown user's community including a map showing where user locations
You may also find this index of TLAs useful when reading the manual!
Portsdown transmitter FAQ
And of course we need an FAQ page for those people who don't read the manual!